DIY TFE! I have created an all-in-one TFE “megapack” which contains the following codebases:
- TFE 1.0: TFE as released by Greyclaw. Includes the original, unmodified source code plus two quickly fixed up versions which should compile under Windows (MS Visual C++ 6.0) and Linux (egcs-2.91.66). This distribution is not for the faint of heart as it has MANY bugs that need fixing.
- TFE 2.1: A fixed-up version of TFE (in part by Reliqox) that is probably a good starting point for a ‘original-style’ clone without having to do the low level bug fixing that you would have to do with TFE 1.0. I believe that TFE-Classic was founded on this codebase. No provision for Windows, however.
- TFE Classic Starter Kit (1.0): When Severus shut down Classic he released this codebase (with no mobs/areas/etc). It would probably make an excellent codebase to start building your own clone on top of. Again, no provision for Windows compatibility for the casual starter, but may provide some useful snippits and interesting reading for existing clones.
- TFE Eternal/SOF: Apparently this is the Eternal / SOF Version of TFE before the two MUD’s split. No idea what condition the code is in, or even if it compiles… but figured it might as well be listed.
- Crimson Rain’s TFE: Not entirely sure the history behind this one.
- River’s Edge TFE: The parent TFE clone to most of the engines out there today. Many bugfixes and new features including the channel-socials you are used to today.
- The Forests Heart: The Forests Heart codebase, dated 28 September 1999.
- The Lyon’s Den: Lyon’s Den code, probably fairly old but I’m not sure how old.
Click here to download it! (9,402,564 bytes).
The archive is in 7-zip format. You can download a 7z extracter here.
Note: I do not provide support for this download! If you are going to code your own MUD you’re on your own! I don’t have time to help the hoardes of people who ask.